Learning to swim is a key component of the Horizons student experience. Becoming a competent swimmer builds confidence and a desire to achieve.
Students receive swimming lessons from certified instructors four days a week at the University of Mississippi’s Turner Center. Students learn a potentially life-saving skill and become comfortable in the water. They leave the program with the increased self-confidence.
Learning to swim:
- Encourages attention to detail and commitment to a goal
- Teaches resilience and strategies to overcome fears and obstacles
- Inspires children to adopt a healthy lifestyle
- Introduces a competitive sport
- Teaches skills for summer employment
- Is FUN! Promoting a love for and engagement in Horizons